Clarendon Street Vets explain the dangers of chocolate poisoning in pets

April 7, 2023

Share this Post

At the time of writing, easter is just around the corner. Whilst we may be looking forward to chocolate eggs and other Easter treats, its really important that Chocolate eggs (chocolate bars, chocolate cake, cooking chocolate, drinking chocolate, cocoa powder, basically anything containing chocolate!) is kept well out of reach of your pet.

Unfortunately, even a small amount of chocolate can pose a serious danger to your pets health. Keep reading our article to understand why chocolate consumption is such a problem for pets.

Contact us immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate.

CALL 01223 359021

Why is chocolate dangerous to pets?

Chocolate is especially toxic to dogs and cats because it contains the chemical theobromine. Theobromine is found in high concentrations naturally in the Cacao plant, which is chocolate in its pure form. Unlike humans, dogs and cats are very sensitive to theobromine, and if consumed in any quantity it can cause some serious symptoms.

Signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs and cats

Firstly, DON’T WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS TO APPEAR – if your pet has eaten chocolate call is straight away on 01223 359021.

(If you haven’t seen the incident but notice any of the below symptoms, you should also give us a call.)

Signs of chocolate poisoning can include

  • vomiting,
  • diarrhoea
  • hyperactivity
  • hypersalivation
  • high temperature
  • increased heart rate
  • tremors
  • seizures

Know the facts:

  • Signs usually appear after four hours of chocolate ingestion, can worsen if left untreated, and in rare cases can be fatal.
  • The amount of theobromine in chocolate products does vary depending on the brand and the darkness of the chocolate; dark being stronger than milk, and white chocolate containing very low concentrations, meaning the darker the chocolate the higher the risk to pets. However, eating enough chocolate of any kind can pose a serious risk.
  • Foods containing chocolate such as cakes, biscuits, and doughnuts can also cause harm. Cocoa beans, and cocoa powders contain the highest concentrations and are therefore extremely toxic.
  • Cocoa shell mulch (used by some gardeners in flowerbeds) contains high levels of theobromine and should be avoided if you have pets.
  • Even if the chocolate consumption hasn’t caused ‘obvious’ harm this time, the high fat content can lead to pancreatitis – a painful and potentially life-threatening problem with a dog’s pancreas.
  • Many sugar-free chocolate products contain xylitol – an artificial sweetener – which is also highly toxic to pets.
  • If eaten, wrappers can cause an obstruction that may need surgical intervention.

What to do if you think your pet has eaten chocolate

Patrick and the rest of our team at Cambridge have unfortunately seen the symptoms and effects of chocolate poisoning in pets many times, mostly in dogs.

If you think your pet has ingested chocolate it is important to:

  1. Stay calm
  2. Remove the remains of any chocolate and packaging from harms’ way, but don’t throw it away
  3. Write down how much you think was eaten and when
  4. Call our vet practice immediately on 01223 359021
  5. Do not try to make your pet sick (unless instructed to do so by a vet) as this can cause harm and distress

The chocolate packaging and some information on quantity eaten will help our vets determine the amount of theobromine that has been ingested.

We will need to know this information when you call us, and we will also ask you for some details about your pet, such as age, size and weight, as these factors can influence how serious the chocolate poisoning is, and the treatment that may be required.

Download our Quick Guide on what to do

At the vets

In many cases, your pet will be given an injection to make them vomit which will hopefully bring up all the chocolate before the body has chance to absorb it fully.

If the concentration of suspected chocolate ingestion is high, your pet may need to be hospitalised for supportive care and medication, such as intravenous fluids and activated charcoal. The positive news is that most patients who receive prompt treatment for chocolate poisoning make a full recovery.

If you think your pet has eaten chocolate, the most important thing to remember is to act quickly to minimise the absorption. Even if you are unsure whether the chocolate was actually eaten by your dog or cat, it is better to be cautious and ring us straight away for advice on 01223 359021.

How to keep your pets safe

Of course, prevention is better than cure, so here are some tips to help keep your pet safe from chocolate poisoning:

  1. Keep all confectionery and sweet treats off countertops and low-level surfaces; store them safely in secure containers out of reach of curious noses.
  2. If having an Easter egg hunt, keep cats and dogs well away from the area and at the end of the hunt ensure all chocolate eggs have been accounted for.
  3. Always be mindful of children (and other house guests) with chocolate as they may not understand the dangers and could accidentally feed their chocolate treats to your pet.
  4. Be vigilant when walking your dog as if there is chocolate on the ground, they will find it!

The last thing you want is a poorly pet at Easter, or any time of the year, so our advice is to make sure you keep anything chocolatey out of paw’s reach so that everyone can relax!

Remember, if you need us, we’re here – just call 01223 359021.

Help other pet owners too by sharing our article, and download and share our quick guide:

Signs of chocolate poisoning & what to do

Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.

Performance

We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.

Functional

From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.

Targeting

We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies