Kitten care advice from the team at Clarendon Street Vets
April 21, 2021
Kittens may be cute and fluffy but in those formative weeks and months they can be hard work too and their enthusiasm for life can prove more than a bit destructive.
But with a little homework and preparation you and your kitten can have fun from the word go. Here at the practice in 28 Clarendon Street we’ve plenty of experience with kittens so thought we’d offer some advice to make those first few weeks and months a happy learning curve for both you and your kitten. If you’ve any questions after reading this, don’t hesitate to contact us for advice.
When you bring your kitten home it will need your help to get used to its new surroundings and to your way of life.
- Ensure it is introduced to all members of the family and gets used to being around people of all ages, as well as other pets.
- Introduce your kitten to various items it will need to get used to, including litter tray, grooming tools and its pet carrier – essential for journeys away and trips to the vet.
- Start a feeding routine and try to stick to it.
- Bring in plenty of toys and a scratching post to distract your kitten from the soft furnishings.
- Expose your kitten to as many experiences as you can – Get him or her used to meeting new people, being left alone, other types of animals if they are part of the household, and loud noises such as the vacuum cleaner.
- Keep any potential poisons, such as Lily’s, anti-freeze and household cleaners, out of your kitten’s reach.
- Introduce play time. The more time you spend playing with your kitten the more it will bond with you.
- Make sure your kitten has a safe space of its own to rest and sleep in.
Your kitten will need vaccinations, microchipping and parasite prevention treatment too, as well as neutering (usually from around 6 months old) so bring him or her along to Clarendon Street Veterinary Surgery where we can chat to you about what’s needed and get your kitten used to being handled by our team too.
We look forward to meeting your new arrival!