Travelling with your pet

December 22, 2020

Share this Post

Seasons Greetings to all our Clients.  There has been changes to the documentation needed to travel with your pets. Read our update.


Please find below, for those to whom it is relevant, an update on Brexit & The Pet Travel Scheme, which applies to movement of 5 or fewer pet dogs, cats or ferrets. If you need to move a different pet species, or a larger number of animals, you should speak with DEFRA / APHA regarding an Export Health Certificate on 03000 200 301.
The EU commission has now granted the UK Part 2 listed status which means that health requirements for travel to the EU remain broadly the same. However, some of the paperwork and travel arrangements are different. The process is now as follows:
1. Pets must be microchipped.
2. Pets must be vaccinated against Rabies – they must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated. They must then wait 21 days before travelling.
3. An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) must be signed by an Official Vet (OV) no more than 10 days before travel.
4. Tapeworm treatment is required for entry into Norway, Malta, Finland and Ireland, and return to the UK.
Animal Health Certificates
These are dual language certificates issued in English and the language of the point of entry into the EU, therefore it is important you let us know which country you are first travelling to within the EU.
To fill this in the owner must supply:
– The pet’s microchipping date. This can be found out from the company on whose database your pet is registered eg PetLog. You should find it on your paperwork or online documents. Please contact them in plenty of time to identify when the chip was implanted if you do not have it to hand. It is rare for us to hold this information for dogs nowadays as the vast majority of chips are now placed by breeders. Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will have the time to get this information from a microchip database within the consultation period, which may mean delaying or rescheduling your AHC appointment.
– The pet’s Rabies vaccination history. It is important to have a record of all Rabies vaccinations. These can be found in a previously issued Pet Passport, a vaccination record card, or Veterinary Medical Records (animal history). They should be recorded in a document that also includes your pet’s microchip number. So please do keep your passports as a useful record of this vaccination.
We must take copies of these documents for our records and to supply with the AHC, so it is important to bring paper copies, or email them to us well in advance of your appointment, and appropriately labelled, so they can be accessed quickly on the day. We must have documentary evidence of these pieces of information for official reasons, and cannot accept this verbally.
The AHC will be valid for:
– 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
– Onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
– Re-entry to Great Britain for 4 months after the date of issue
Arriving in the EU
On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with pets will need to enter through a designated Travellers’ point of entry (TPE). At the TPE the original AHC must be presented along with proof of:
• The pet’s microchip
• Rabies vaccination
• Tapeworm treatment (if required)
See more about TPEs here;
Repeat trips to the EU
Your pet will need a new Animal Health Certificate for each trip to the EU. To get a new health certificate, the pet must visit an Official Vet no more than 10 days before travel.
Return to Great Britain
There will be no significant changes to the current health preparations for pets entering Great Britain from the EU from 1 January 2021. One of the following documents must be presented when returning to Great Britain:
– An EU pet passport (issued in the EU or in the UK before 1 January 2021)
– The AHC issued in Great Britain used to travel to the EU (which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued)
– A UK pet health certificate (for travel into the UK only)
Please use this link to keep up to date with the changes, although it is not yet updated:
If you have any questions regarding travelling with your pet or need a consultation to discuss any of the aforementioned, please get in contact via PetsApp, email or call us on 01223 359 021.
With Kind Regards,
The Clarendon Street Team

Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies