Animal health Certificates (AHC's) and Pet Travel

Following our departure from the EU the Pet Passport is no longer valid for travel. You now need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) each time you travel within the EU. Both Patrick and Harriet are government licensed to issue an AHC if you and your pet plan to travel or live abroad. We are also able to provide certificates for export.

The process for taking your pet to countries within the EU is now as follows:

  1. Pets must be micro-chipped.
    2. Pets must be vaccinated against Rabies – they must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated. They must then wait 21 days before travelling.
    3. An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) must be signed by an Official Vet (OV) no more than 10 days before travel.
    4. Tapeworm treatment is required for entry into Norway, Malta, Finland and Ireland, and return to the UK.

The AHC is a dual language certificate issued in English and the language of the point of entry into the EU, therefore it is important you let us know which country you are first travelling to within the EU.

To complete an AHC we need your pet’s micro-chipping date and Rabies vaccination history. We have to take copies of these documents for our records so it is important to bring paper copies, or email them to us well in advance of your appointment

The AHC is valid for:
– 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
– Onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
– Re-entry to Great Britain for 4 months after the date of issue

Arriving in the EU
On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with pets will need to enter through a designated Travellers’ point of entry (TPE). At the TPE the original AHC must be presented along with proof of:
• The pet’s microchip
• Rabies vaccination
• Tapeworm treatment (if required)

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU. To get a new health certificate, the pet must visit an Official Vet no more than 10 days before travel.

To enter the UK you will need either the AHC issued in Great Britain used to travel to the EU (which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued) or a UK pet health certificate (for travel into the UK only.)

More information on Pet travel is available at

If you are travelling to a destination outside the EU, travelling at a different time to your pet or relocating an animal to a new home abroad,  different rules will apply.

If you have any queries or would like to make an appointment to discuss travelling abroad with your pets, please get in touch via email, PetsApp or call us on 01223 359 021.

Please note, at peak times demand for this service may be very high, so where possible please book well in advance of travel.


Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies